YBB’s first Virtual Trauma Informed Yoga Training, June 2020
In response to COVID-19, we’re temporarily moving our 21-hour Trauma-Informed Yoga Training online. We believe now more than ever is the time to practice, study, and offer trauma-informed, somatic (body-based) tools. We’re thrilled to announce two new opportunities to train with us in February and March.
Our training alumni have spoken and again and again, and we’re finally listening – we’ve decided to add an additional day to both trainings! Join our fabulous training team on Zoom as we dive deep into social justice and yoga, trauma-informed instructional strategies, boundaries, self care, and more.
“YBB is doing such important work and is making the invisible visible in a way that is so critical. This training has ignited a fire in me and I want to learn and do more.”
– YBB Virtual Trainee, 2020
February 4 – 8, 2021
March 20 – 21 and March 26 – 28, 2021
(The March training takes place over two weekends.)
What to Expect
We are limiting the number of participants to 20 people so we can create a courageous container for self-exploration, growth, and community building. Expect a thorough preparation to offer trauma-informed yoga and meditation in jail, prison or any other setting to foster connection, safety, and healing, including:
- Multiple trauma-sensitive yoga, movement and meditation classes
- Trauma-informed language and neuroscience
- Understanding mass incarceration and how we got here
- Training on race and social justice
- Self-care and boundaries for working in environments of suffering/trauma in a sustainable and just way
- Time with current YBB instructors
- Personal stories from former YBB students
- Inspiration and online community
- The 60+ page Yoga Behind Bars manual, valued at $75
- 21 hours of CE credit with Yoga Alliance
Also expect to engage in conversation about how we can move forward together to work towards equity and justice. How can we use the tools of trauma healing to stand for what matters?
“This training is as much intellectually eye-opening as it is deeply heart-opening. This training and this work are what the world needs more of.”–YBB Trainee, Olympia – 2019
Registrants will receive an email with the Zoom link to meet online and some homework to prepare before the training. We are aware of the increased screen time right now – Zoom fatigue is real! In the training, we will offer and encourage folks to adapt participation in ways that are conducive to staying present and engaged. We will offer ample breaks, and we are choosing to expand the training an extra day to give us more time to integrate and reflect .
Prerequisites and Cost
This training is open to all. Past participants have included yoga instructors, medical professionals, social workers, mental health counselors, detention staff, social justice allies, and people who want to deepen their own practice. We offer a sliding scale to make our training as accessible as possible during these uncertain times:
- $435 Access Rate
- $535 Standard Rate
- $635 Sustaining Rate
We offer scholarships for people of color and formerly incarcerated folks; email firstname.lastname@example.org for more questions about scholarships, payment plan options, or financial assistance.
- Cancellations within one week or more of the training will be refunded at 50%, minus the $40 admin fee.
- Cancellations within less than one week of the training will not be refunded.
- We will give a full refund, including the admin fee, for any COVID-related emergencies.
We’re hiring a Part-Time Program Coordinator!
Teaching in prison requires both a fierce commitment and a powerful ability to detach.
So many of us have self-talk that limits us and hearing stories from others made me feel like I wasn’t the only one who has had issues with accessibility.